I've been asked quite a bit about why I'm traveling while pregnant. My answer (which is really a response to MANY questions/comments) is this: "I am pregnant, not invalid." This trip was planned before I was preggers, and I'm not about to cancel it. And even if it wasn't planned, I might have done so really quickly--b/c I don't know when we'll get the chance again. The biggest risk to me/Shim is the fact that the flight is long, and preggos are at increased risk for DVT's. (Deep vein thrombosis) So, that's an easy one. I pee constantly. All those trips up and down the aisle to the potty will keep the blood moving in my legs. Another thing I'll be doing is wearing Ted hose. Basically, they are really tight compression hose that surgical pt's wear to prevent blood clots during surgery. Conveniently enough, I work in an operating room. It just so happens we have plenty of those around, and I can have a pair. So, that's the biggest risk, and that's what I'm doing about it.
And yes, I have the permission of my midwives. The only stipulation is that I take a copy of my medical records with me. Seeing as to how I have an appt the afternoon before I leave, that will be easy enough.
I've been asked about the "what if" I go into preterm labor. Without going into an extreme amount of detail, here goes. 24 weeks is viablity. Before that, there aren't really any NICU's that will attempt to save a fetus/baby. The survival rate is pretty darn low. Cruise lines won't let passengers who are 24 weeks or further cruise for this reason. So, if I were to have Shim, there is nothing a hospital could do, whether it be here in Charlotte, or in Europe. And heck, the countries we are going to have lower maternal/fetal death rates anyways. One could argue that I'd be better off there in preterm labor. Okey dokey, enough on that soapbox.
My sister in law Dianna is due on Tuesday, so we are all impatiently waiting for the first Kirsch baby to arrive anytime! Ironically enough, it appears he's being stubborn like the rest of the Kirsch men. My sweet husband kept my dear MIL in labor for days. But don't worry, I've already had a talk with Shim about that and he understands it's simply not acceptable.
My belly has really popped in the last week or two, so maybe I'll get Eric to take a picture tomorrow. If not, there are going to be more than enough in the next 3 weeks. I'm really starting to feel quite pregnant. I felt Shim kick twice this week, so that was alot of fun. I can't wait until it's more regular so Eric can feel it! I have a sneaking suspicion I have an anterior placenta, (meaning it sits in front of my uterus), which is why I don't feel him often. I listen to him frequently, so I know he's doing just fine in there. And on a side note, I simply don't know how other preggos survive without a doppler. I'd be going psycho waiting 4 weeks b/t appts to know everything is fine.
I bought little man a diaper bag this week. It's modern and doesn't look babyish, and it was 30% off! Yippee skippee! I also bought a onesie that says "Sorry girls, I only date models". And then a second onesie that says "the dog did it". They are both quite cute.
Okay, I've gotta get going....there is more packing and organizing to do!
2 comments:
Have a great trip! I loved Italy. And you know I'm never going to tell you not to travel while preggers! LOL
Nikki,
Let the little one experience all of the wonderful times, today (here), tomorrow, in Italy and forever. There will ALWAYS be those questioning everything we do but if we all lived our life according to those naysayers, we'd live in a very unhappy life! Have fun, shake the booty, and sport those cool teds (ha ha). Take lots of pics too! Congrats on your 20 wk and 1 day! Have fun!
Kim :0)
Post a Comment