Saturday, September 27, 2008

Plastic and toys

So, over time I hope to make many blog posts that better explain why I make some of my parenting decisions. I don't necessarily feel the need to explain myself or justify my decisions, but rather would like to help our family and friends understand us bit better. Me, rather. Eric just goes along with whatever I think, for the most part. As long as I have a good rationale with research to back it up, he's usually okay with it.

Now for a few disclaimers. Just because I do research and make a decision that I feel is best, doesn't mean I expect everyone and anyone to agree. It also does not mean that I think other parents who make opposite decisions are making bad ones. Every parent makes choices that are right for them, and I am the last one that should be judging that. I also don't care to hear how your child did such and such (that is opposite from our way), and turned out just fine. That's great, but I just assume someone support us rather than question us. Disclaimers over...

Now, onto the plastic issue, the topic of tonight. There are two things in alot of plastics that I've become aware of through research, and would prefer to avoid. One is BPA(bisphenol A), the other PVC (polyvinlychloride). I've chosen bottles to use that don't have either, and silicone pacifier's as well. Another big thing with these two ingredients is toys. Considering that most babies until 18 months or so are always chewing on a toy, this is one of the big things for me. Making the attempt to keep wooden chew toys around, rather than plastic ones, is one small effort I can make. Unfortunately, they are very hard to find in regular stores like Target and the such. Thankfully, the internet is full of sites for these toys. HABA is one of the biggest name brands. The countries of the European Union made PVC illegal in their toys almost ten years ago---Why is the US always behind??? It really frustrates me. Here is some info from the net:

General tips for toy buying:
General Tips on Buying Safer Products for Kids

Buy less! The easiest way to avoid toys with toxic chemicals is to buy less! For some tips on reducing gift buying, see: "Simplify the Holidays".

Avoid toys that list vinyl or PVC as an ingredient (#3 plastic). Soft plastic toys like bath toys, squeeze toys, and dolls are commonly made of vinyl. If you're not sure if a toy contains vinyl or PVC try looking it up in our database. If you see high levels of chlorine, it is likely that the product contains PVC. If the product you are curious about is not in our database, ask the manufacturer or consider an alternative product.
Steer clear of vinyl lunch boxes; choose cloth lunch bags instead.
Choose uncoated cotton bibs instead of vinyl bibs, or choose bibs made of non-PVC plastic.
Avoid diaper covers, rain gear, and backpacks made of vinyl (PVC).
Choose mattresses made of wool, cotton, or natural latex that don't have vinyl covers.
Choose wool changing pads or portable fabric changing pads that do not have vinyl linings.
For a guide to safer plastics, see: http://www.iatp.org/ foodandhealth/
When possible choose plastic-free toys such as fabric teethers, unpainted wooden toys or cloth and plush toys. Polycarbonate plastic (#7 plastic) should also be avoided. For a guide to safer plastics, see: http://www.iatp.org/ foodandhealth/

Avoid children's metal jewelry and toys with small pieces, particularly magnetic pieces. For more information, see CDC's website on lead in jewelry

Check recall lists regularly, and if a toy has been recalled, send it back to the manufacturer. To receive email recall alerts from U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Take action! We can't just purchase our way out of this problem. We need Government and industry to make our products safer!


And some info on PVC/BPA specifically:
F
rom IV tubing to baby bottles, though, plastics are under attack.

The truth is that some plastics are better than others, both for the environment and for our health. For those interested, look at the bottom of most household items made of plastic. There's a number in a triangular shape, usually 1 through 7. According to The Green Guide, avoid #3, 6 and 7; #1 and 2 are considered safer. Why? Well, not all plastics are created equally. We are learning more and more each day about the health detriments of plastic exposure.

The dangers of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) have been known for some time. Phthalates, the "plasticizer" in PVC, has been linked to asthma and other allergic disorders as well as endocrine disruption; PVC's are suspected carcinogens, too. Fortunately, Health Care Without Harm, the environmental supergroup, has been working with the health care industry to remove harmful PVC's from products like IV tubing.

Bisphenol-A (BPA), a component of #7 plastics, is the subject of most recent concern for environmental health advocates. Found in most baby bottles and canned formula, BPA has been linked to several health disorders. A Federal investigative panel concluded recently that exposure to BPA has effects on neurobehavioral and endocrine development both in utero and after birth, in infants and children. The panel's report has been widely criticized as being not harsh enough, using terms like "some concern" or "minimal concern" for the above health effects. To me, again, it comes down to whether or not you believe in the precautionary principle. If you can't assure safety within a reasonable degree, avoid use. But alas, the plastics industries do not embrace the principle, and our federal government seems more interested in the bottom line than in our children's health.


Because of all the above info and research I've read, I decided to make what small choices I can to protect Shim from this stuff. First thing was registering for Born Free bottles. I may also register for some Dr. Browns, I've heard they have a safe version. I am most obviously not the only mother on this bandwagon, and discovered that at Babies R Us (BRU). When I asked a question at the help/registry desk about a particular pacifier and PVC number, they pulled out a sheet from under the desk. It contained every product in the store considered to be BPA/ PVC "safe". I was shocked and quite impressed. Now, I do just want to say that I am realistic. I know that babies put anything and everything in their mouths. Yes, I know that Shim will chew on his fair share of plastic toys. But if I have wooden rattles/chew toys laying around to substitute for the plastic ones, it will make me feel better. As I see it, every little bit helps.

Here are some websites for wooden toys for anyone interested in how cute they can be:
www.childtrek.com
www.planethappytoys.com
www.oompa.com

So now I've blogged about midwives, doulas, and the whole plastic/wooden toy thing. I still want to blog about hypnobabies, breastfeeding, cloth diapers, organic products, vaccinations, and quite a few more I can't think of right this second. If you haven't figured it out yet, I've become quite granola and crunchy. I haven't always been this way. It kinda started when I moved to Charlotte, which is funny b/c this isn't generally a granola city. I mean, it's not Asheville by any means. But I sure do think I'd fit in just fine there. Or Seattle. (Hi Carmie!) Being pregnant has really amped up my crunchiness. Eric isn't by any means, other than recycling. He just mostly goes along with whatever I choose, within reason. Since he is also in the medical field, supplying him with research goes a long way. Okay, that's quite enough of my random ramblings for tonight. Hope your Sunday is a great one!


3 comments:

tuesdaystomorrow said...

Hi Nikki!! I throughly enjoy reading your blog, and it makes me so happy that your going to do one about vaccinations!! I look forward to seeing what you think, and I love all the research you add.

Angela said...

I think its great that we have so much in common for our plans for our children....I'm glad your going first-so I can learn from what you have done!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that the Smart Plastics Guide has been updated, and the Smart Children's Guide is now available:

http://www.healthobservatory.org/

Thanks for your interest!

--Allison, Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy