Last week was my first week back fulltime. Three LOOOOONG 12 hour shifts. I prefer just two a week, not three. It was hard, but do-able.
Now on to the important things. Last Tuesday night/Wed morning at 3:15am, my phone rang. This is big stuff, b/c I actually had my phone beside me. It always stays in the den, far away from where it can wake me. Now you are probably wondering why the girl who HATES to be woken by the phone slept with it next to her. It had a little something to do with having not one, but TWO sister in laws who were due in minute:-)
The phone call was from my brother, and I answered it just knowing it was the call to announce McCall's (my niece) arrival. No such luck. Instead, it was him informing me that his wife was dying, and he wanted to know what he should do about it. See, Bridget had been to L & D Monday night, and Tuesday night, and they kept sending her home. Not a very nice thing to do, but it's the evilness of early labor. They'd only been home about an hour or so I think, when he called me at their wits end. Why me? I guess b/c I'm in healthcare. I guess b/c I'd planned and had a successful natural birth. I really don't know, and I certainly didn't feel capable of helping. But I sure was honored that they thought I could! I gave him some tips, and felt really sorry for Bridget. I couldn't go back to sleep after that. Finally at 4am, I sent him a text and said that I couldn't sleep, so was going to get up and drive to Florence. I was hoping that I could be of some help to get them through early labor. Before I could even leave Charlotte, he called and said he was taking her back to the hospital (third times a charm folks), and that time she was finally dilating. Epidural heaven she said!!! Bridget didn't have a very easy time of it since they sent her home twice, and was thrilled when she finally got some much needed pain relief. So as it turns out, my getting up and leaving for Florence was a good thing since it would soon be McCalls Birthday party.
I got to Florence around 8 am, after a long 2 1/2 hour drive. It went so slow, b/c I just wanted to get there. I enjoyed my morning in the waiting room with Drake and my parents (Eric was working). My Aunt Maggie, and Bridget's Mom and step dad were also all there. I am happy to announce that my beautiful niece McCall Claire Gregg was born at 12:06 pm weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces, and 19 3/4 inches long. She is such a cutie patootie! We left Florence about 5pm that day, since I had to work the next day. I was super sad I didn't get to hold and snuggle McCall, but by the time I had to leave, Davy and Bridget had barely gotten to hold her much. The hospital they delivered at transitions babies in the nursery under heat lamps, instead of skin to skin. So, when they finally got McCall, I certainly didn't want to take her away from them. Eric, Drake, and myself are going to Florence this weekend, and I'm gonna cover her with kisses and snuggles!!!
Drake is crying, so I g/g, but will be back to tell you all about my OTHER niece born!!!!!! TWO NIECES IN FOUR DAYS!!!! I'M THE LUCKIEST AUNT IN THE WORLD!!!
1 comment:
Congrats Auntie!
Post a Comment