"It's not where you're from; it's where you're going. It's not what you drive; it's what drives you. It's not what's on you; it's what's in you. It's not what you think; it's what you know."
I read this yesterday on someone's facebook page. It's my new favorite quote. It's the new quote I want to model my life after.
Each part of it has so much to offer; each part is something to think about. Not just to think "Oh, that's nice", but rather REALLY think about.
"It's not where you're from; it's where you're going."
To me, this part means that it's not necessary to live in the past. It means that I'm not defined by where I grew up, but rather where I choose to spend my future. In the physical sense. It also means much more than that to me. It's not just about a physical location. It's about not being defined by past actions or decisions, but rather current and future ones. I'd like to think that people can change and redefine themselves. Of course, change isn't necessarily needed. But if change happens, it can be for the better.
"It's not what you drive; it's what drives you."
This one kinda opens up a can of worms, in my opinion. To me, this is all about being superficial and fake, rather than showing who/what you really are. And let me just say it to get it out of the way: I cannot STAND superficial and fake. A perfect example: driving a car you can't afford, just to project a certain image. The image that you are wealthy, or cool, or worthy of being around. While in reality, you can't afford the car payment, or some other bill. I've realized over time that if I quit spending time worrying about what people think of me (or how they perceive me), then I'm a lot happier. Instead, it is about what drives me. If I think about that (which for me is my family), I am fulfilled. It's hard in the beginning to change the thoughts that occupy your mind, but over time it becomes natural and real. I try to focus on myself (looking inward), rather than looking outward to others around me. I don't measure my happiness or level of success based on what's in my garage. I prefer to measure it in giggles from Drake, smiles from Eli, and kissed from Eric. On another note, I can't stand people who drive super expensive cars (for no reason), even if they can afford it. Now if you really do drive it for some of it's capabilities, that's great. I remember a discussion with a certain someone (who will remain nameless), who was tickled to pieces about his new 60K car. Yet he had a wife he "required" to work, and some kids whose college/savings funds weren't complete. What a selfish bastard.
"It's not what's on you; it's what's in you. "
Oh, another can of worms. Actually, it's really related to the one above. Or, an elaboration of it. It's about being more concerned with whether my jeans are from Nordstom's or Target, rather than learning who I am and what I believe is true and real. It's interesting to me that every October I become a year older, and hopefully, wiser. With each passing year, I also make more money and pay off more debt. So, you would think that with that happening, I could/would be more interested in and impressed with superficial things that money can buy. Sunglasses, purses, clothes, etc. Instead, I've become less interested. I'm certainly not saying I won't pay money for expensive name brand items. (Because I LOVE seven jeans!) But I pay money for them because I truly love the item, not because I'm trying to project a certain image. Self reflection can be a good thing. And when I've spent time on that, this quote becomes all the more true. And as I focus more on what's in me, I find myself quite turned off by people who are only concerned with what's on me. And with that, I find myself VERY turned off by people trying to make themselves appear as something they are not. Like misrepresenting something they are wearing as their own, when in reality it's a knockoff- or only borrowed from a friend. Blech....
"It's not what you think; it's what you know."
I know what's really important to me. And I know who I'm really important to. And I think it's time to be true to that.
No comments:
Post a Comment