Drake turned 16 months five days ago! Where has the time gone? I swear that kid was just born yesterday. He is more of a joy everyday, and yet he is more of a pain every day. He is MOST definitely a toddler, and is becoming more defiant and headstrong. He has learned to bite, which is a MAJOR issue for me. Unfortunately, he hasn't done it to Eric or myself, just his cousin. We are waiting for him to do it to us, and start some major discipline for it. I really have no idea where to start for discipline. Neither Eric or I are big fans of spanking; we prefer gentle discipline and positive reinforcement. However, that's nice and all, but we've never parented or disciplined before. What we theoretically prefer may or may not work for our kids. We'll start with the redirection, positive reinforcement, and time outs first. I guess we'll see where those get us.
Drake has become a lot more whiny. However, I wonder if he's not getting enough sleep some days. If his naps aren't long enough, we can definitely tell! I tell him "Whining gets you nothing", but he looks at me like I'm crazy. His comprehension is getting better, he often understands what I'm telling him. (Listening is another story). His speech is improving as well. He's recently added the words "bird", and "hey" to his vocabulary. The "hey" is accompanied by a big arm wave. He is constantly looking up when we are outside, and gets super excited by either birds or airplanes.
We got a letter last week that told us Drake officially got the spot at the preschool we wanted him in. It's the one at our church, right at the front of our neighborhood. He'll be going on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 9:30 until 1pm. I guess that means he'll transition that morning nap out. I sure feel sorry for his teachers! He's going to be a major crankbutt. I hope he enjoys it. He quits crying within 1-2 minutes when we leave him on Sunday mornings, so I hope he'll be just as good when we leave him for preschool. I'll be able to take him and pick him up on Tuesdays, Eric will take him on Thursdays, and I'll pick him up on Thursdays. We are excited to have our schedule all worked out!
Now, on to an update on sweet Mr. Eli. He will be SIX weeks old tomorrow!!! Seriously? He is such a good baby. He only fusses when he's gassy, and Mylicon usually fixes that. Along with a good burp or toot. He is taking a little bit out of a bottle, but he still isn't doing it easily. Or happily. I'm gonna call his pediatrician about it Wednesday, and discuss it with him. I just don't know if he's big enough to go by the "when he gets hungry enough he'll eat" method. I mean, I go back to work in less than a month, so he's got to figure it out eventually. As a mom who believes in demand feeding, and meeting a baby's every cry and need, this is hard for me. But, I HAVE to work, so it's not done out of laziness or something else.
He's been giving me social smiles for a few days, and today he gave Eric a big smile while I was gone with Drake. Eric was so happy and proud to tell me about it when I got home. His head strength is also getting a lot better. It's amazing how someone so tiny can hold that big head up for so long. On another super exciting note- his horrible diaper rash/excoriation is better! We've been sitting him up in the Boppy, on the baby einstein play mat. He seems to like looking around and checking it all out.
We have a busy week planned, which simply means we have something planned each day. And even the smallest trip is an adventure with my two boys. Tomorrow we are going on a tour at Drake's future preschool in the morning. And in the afternoon, Eli and I are heading to my postpartum checkup. I can't wait to see my midwife Tina and catch up. On Wednesday I'm taking both boys to the mall and meet up with my friend Melissa. She had her daughter Reese about a week after Eli arrived. We are both excited to get out of the house and catch up, even if it is while pushing strollers around the mall. Thursday there is a La Leche League meeting not too terribly far away, and I hope to make it to that. I've never been to one, so I hope it's what I expect. On Friday, we are heading to Florence for the night. I've got a baby shower on Saturday morning for a cousin, and then we'll head back home Saturday evening/night.
Well, I think that's enough of an update for now. Peace out!
1 comment:
Nikki,
Congratulations on the birth of Eli. I loved the La Leche meetings I went to in Columbia. I nursed Derrick until he was 14 months, and they are super supportive!! Their book, The womanly art of breastfeeding is great!! -Rebecca
Post a Comment