Hi all! Eric and I sure have been busy despite being on vacation. We’d hate to come this far, and not feel like we’ve seen as much as possible. However, we definitely aren’t overdoing it, b/c I’m still getting a nap in every day. I’m very lucky to have a husband who is sensitive to the fact that I’m pregnant, and not at my normal physical status. He constantly is asking me how I’m doing, when we’re out and about. The main issue here is the heat; it’s still above 85 each day. I’m praying for a cool down!
I’m no longer worried about how Eric will respond when I go into labor, b/c we had a little test last night:-) I woke up with a charley horse (massive leg cramp) in the middle of the night, and it was the worst I’ve ever had. I’d read they can be bad in pregnancy. Well, I woke up literally SCREAMING, and I’ve never seen Eric move that fast. He jumped up OUT of the bed in about half a second, not knowing what the hell was going on. It finally went away, but I’ve been laughing at Eric all day. You should’ve seen the look on his face. I don’t think it would’ve been quite as scary for him had I not been having Braxton Hicks before bed. Speaking of those, they are quite weird and funny the first few times. Actually, they scared me before I figured out what they were. They don’t hurt at all, but it is strange to feel my belly get so rock hard. I’ve done some research, and it seems they usually appear around this gestation. And dehydration and physical activity make them worse. Shocker. Those two things define this trip. I drink SO much water and apple juice, but it can’t possibly be enough as hot as it is.
Today we were in Dubrovnik Croatia, which was truly a beautiful port and city. They were just at war 19 years ago (with Serbia maybe?), and the popular thing to do here is walk the wall that surrounds the city. It was built for protection, and it surrounds what is called “the old city”. We got up late, and took a shuttle to the old city after breakfast. We walked most of the wall, but it was so hot out. We kept seeing these little nooks carved into the rocks on the outside of the wall, and were determined to get to one. They’d have umbrellas, a bar, and areas to dive/climb into the water. We finally got to the one we’d eyed the most, and it was heavenly. I had a Sprite, Eric had a Croatian beer, and then we went swimming. Well, Eric went swimming rather. I just sat on the ladder up to my waist. These places are literally right up against the wall and cliffs, and there are normal big ocean waves coming constantly. I was so paranoid about crashing into the wall, that I just felt better staying on the ladder. My decision making has shifted now that I’ve got a big man to protect as well.
Speaking of Shim, I’m starting to feel him move a lot more now. I can’t wait for Eric to have his hand on my belly at the right time and feel him. I think he’s going to be a taebo superstar!
I’ve been taking lots of photos, and editing and organizing along the way. If our hotel in Santorini has free wifi, I’ll start synching them with my web gallery then. If not, you’ll all just have to wait until we get home:-) If you are wondering how we can afford to post such long blogs, here is my secret. I type it in pages (Apples version of word) and then just copy/paste to blogger. It only takes a minute or two to do that, and then publish the new blog post. I love all the comments. Mom and B, thanks for the updates. I was VERY happy to hear how well things are going, but can’t type alot in email b/c it’s expensive. Can someone in the Kirsch family let us know how little Gavin is? And how Dianna and Joe are adjusting? Hope it’s not too crazy! (Especially since that’ll be us in 4 months). I can’t wait to get home and see more pictures of him!
We are in Venice the next two days. We start sailing in tomorrow at 11:30, and dock at 2pm. We don’t leave until the next day at 5pm. We don’t have any excursions planned; we’re gonna wing it. The only definites for tomorrow night are a gondola ride, and listening to the dueling orchestras in St. Marks square. Venice, if you remember, is one of the places I have ALWAYS wanted to visit, so I’m very excited. (Santorini is the other). Eric is having such a good time on this trip, and I’m happy since he was a little upset about being away from work for so long. This will be our last long trip for many years to come, so we are enjoying it while it lasts. Well, that’s all I have for now, and I’ve gotta go get our laundry from the dryer. It may be a couple of days before I post again....
1 comment:
Nikki,
Hey! From AZ! Sounds like your having a great time! I had Braxton-Hicks too, and surely dehydration was the cause (strange however b/c I had a pica issue..ice). Just take it easy kiddo, and Shim will be a terrific kicker, and don't 4 get cowboy! Keep on having fun! You know that you can let them do the laundry (it is a little extra though), I hopped on that bandwagon.
Eric,
So proud of your reaction to Nikki's leg cramps, mine were terrible too, only thing that worked was walking them out!
Love the newest pic too!
Kim :0)
Post a Comment