Monday, February 2, 2009

My little piglet!

So today was Drake's 1 month appt, although he was technically only 4 weeks today. Thursday is his one month birthday! Are you ready for this? My chubba wubba is 7 pounds and 2 ounces!!! He's getting on up there, and I just CANNOT wait until he has fat chunky thighs, with rolls! The little bumps on his face, neck, and chest are typical infant acne; not a rash like we were afraid of. And his spitting up is normal, not indicative of pyloric stenosis. His is as healthy as can be! We saw Dr. Dorsey again today, and I'm growing really fond of him! The practice we go to has about 8 pediatricians, and you can rotate through them all before choosing your primary. As soon as you find one you really like, you can then stick with them. Our two month appt is already set with Dr. Satterfield, who we've heard really good things about. After that, I think we'll choose. Dr. Dorsey is very thorough with his physical assessment. He's attentive to detail, and very patient. I never feel rushed with him. I had questions about the two month vaccines today, and he took plenty of time to go over my concerns with me. He gave me all the information I needed, the scientific info as well as his personal opinion. The thing I really liked is that I didn't feel like he was questioning my judgement or looking down on me, since I don't want to follow the AAP schedule to vaccinate. He was all about coming up with a schedule that we are both comfortable with. All in all, it was a fabulous appointment. I also like the nurses that I've met so far. It's such a big practice that we see a different one every visit. But since we are only doing one vaccine per visit, we'll have lots of chances to meet all the nurses. It's going to take a lot of visits since we won't do any combo vaccines.

Wednesday we have "Babies & Coffee" at my friend Kim's house. It's basically a bunch of moms getting together to socialize, with kiddos welcome. I'm excited to meet some other Moms, since none of my friends here have children yet. The topic of discussions is introducing solids, and making your own baby food. I received a baby food maker (steamer/puree) with a cookbook at my baby shower with my coworkers, so I'm ready! My goal is to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months though, before solids.

Thursday is a local breastfeeding support group, at the hospital where I delivered. That should be fun to meet some more Moms, and also get some questions answered. I started pumping this week, so Drake can have one bottle a day from Daddy. Preferably at 3am! Just kidding, I kinda enjoy those quiet middle of the night feedings. It's such a sweet bonding time. I hate the feeding around 5-6 am. Eric can have that one! Eventually I'd like to pump enough to make one bottle per day, and freeze one bag per day. That would give me about 60 bags frozen if I can do that for the next two months before returning to work. We'll see how that goes....

Friday will be my first time away from Drake, for more than 1 hour. I have girls night, which consists of the wine bar and a movie. I'll only be gone from 5:30 til 10pm, but I know it's going to seem like an eternity. Daddy will be on duty, but my parents are also coming to visit that day. They may leave later rather than earlier, so they can help Eric out. Or I should say, my Mom can help Eric out. She's jonesing for some babysitting time!

Well, that's our uber exciting week in a nutshell. Life has changed around casa de kirsch! No more all nighters at the clubs and fuel pizza......

4 comments:

Miss Kate said...

(greeneyes from JM)

Aaah, I miss Fuel pizza!!

Angela said...

What a good little sprout! So what vaccine are you starting with?

Anonymous said...

We are either starting with Hib or Prevnar. No more than one at a time. And I got a list from them of who makes what they are using, to make sure it's the best (healthiest) brand.

Michelle said...

Yes, you are going out on Friday night! And we can always order Fuel Pizza in :)