Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A thankful post

While I don't live in Charlotte, and my midwives there aren't currently providing my care, I am still extremely thankful for them.

Each and every one of the five.

I met Jan first, so we'll start with her. I love her for so many reasons. She was SO encouraging and optimistic. To quote her, "You're going to get pregnant and STAY pregnant!". She told me in not so many words that if I was having a mental freak out moment, and just needed confirmation, to just call the office and tell them I was having cramps. I love this woman b/c she told me how to get around the system called insurance. And from that VERY first visit, she gave me a great big bear hug every time I saw her.

I think I met Tina next. Tina gets a gold star because she answered TWENTY SIX questions on my list at the 20 week visit. TWENTY SIX. Seriously, I get a freaking award that. It's funny now. She sat down, talked with me, and never once acted impatient to get out of that room. Later in my pregnancy, Tina scolded me. I was later thankful for the scolding. She told me to QUIT trying to always diagnose myself, and to CALL them with any issues or questions. She told me that they were there for me no matter what, and to never hesitate to call them. Tina was the midwife on call the day Drake was born, and was the one to catch him! She was so calming and reassuring, talked me through contractions, and encouraged me the entire way. She really coached me through pushing so that I wouldn't tear. She respected and honored my every wish. And bless her heart, she came to my room the next am, just to tell me how proud she was of me. She had her purse, and looked like hell after working a 24 hour call shift, but she still came by for 15 seconds just to say that. It really meant a lot to me to hear that from her. I had my 6 week PP visit with her, and I saw her for my first couple visits with this pregnancy. She really went above and beyond for me, even though I was leaving their practice. She got on the computer in the exam room, and went to the internet to search for midwives in the Florence area. She didn't have to do that, but it's just how these ladies are. They always go the extra step.

I met Sage next. Oh, Sage. I was NOT a fan at first. She royally pissed me off at first impression. However, she really redeemed herself, and I ended up loving her. She quickly realized that I was serious about a natural childbirth, despite being a CRNA. She also sat and chatted at numerous visits, about ways to increase my chances of NCB. She recommended books, helped reshape my thinking, and suggested the arnica oil to use during pushing.

I met Nancy next, and just for the one time. She never did appts at the location I went to, but was on call the only time I went to L&D before actual delivery. I was there about 33 weeks, concerned that my water may have broken. She was sweet, honest, and really down to earth. Once again, I almost felt like I was just chatting with a girlfriend. All of the midwives made me feel like they were old friends.

Gannon was the last midwife I met, b/c she joined the practice when I was around 36 weeks. I saw her for my last few visits, and thought she was an absolute sweetheart. She was the midwife I saw in the office the morning Drake was born. I swear her quick little exam put me into full blown labor. Therefore, I am a BIG Gannon fan. She was on call the day after Drake was born, and could not believe I had delivered so soon after seeing her. I truly went from "zero to sixty" after seeing her that morning.

Tonight I decided to write about why I love these women so much, rather than whine about how much I miss them. I wish every woman could find providers they loved to pieces.

No comments: