Wednesday, March 24, 2010

To finish my last post...

I was in such a hurry, I couldn't finish all the details from our day of fun on Monday!

We got Drake such adorable summer clothes! I can't wait to put him in some of the really cute outfits. Maybe I'll take some pics when I finally get them organized.

Drake's appt was great b/c his previous bilateral ear infections are completely gone. I am SO happy. I didn't even want to think about one or both still being infected, which could have possible meant tubes if more antibiotics didn't clear it.
We did a naked weight on him, and he is continuing to trend upwards on the growth chart! We were thrilled. He now weighs a whopping 17 lbs and 6oz! I'm kinda surprised, b/c the kid LOVES to eat. He goes nuts for muffins. I always wanted a chunky baby, so I'm kinda sad he's so skinny. But, he is healthy, and for that I am happier than words can say.

My midwife appt was great for two reasons. One, Eli is still definitely head down. I really didn't want to deal with trying to flip a breech baby, or a potential c-section if he never would've turned. So, him being head down and in launching position is fabulous. Two, I'm GBS negative! GBS stands for group beta strep, which is a common bacteria found around the birth canal. Moms who are positive are simply given two doses of an antibiotic while in labor. The antibiotics are actually given to protect the baby, not the mom. Since the bacteria is normal flora to the mom's body, it's not harmful. But, it can be harmful if transmitted to the baby. The doses of antibiotics have to be a certain number of hours apart, and both doses have to be finished a certain number of hours before delivery. It think it's two hours between each. If all of that isn't finished in time, then the baby has to stay at least 48 hours for blood cultures and monitoring. That is my personal idea of HELL. And with the speed of my first labor, my midwives weren't optimistic that I'd get to the hospital in time to accomplish all of that. So, that my friends is why it's particularly awesome that I'm negative.

Sage (the midwife I saw Monday) was so sweet and supportive of me having another completely natural birth. So many people around me are confident in my ability to achieve my goals again; I just wish I was as confident. I've been having a lot of really tense and uncomfortable Braxton Hicks contractions these last few days. They are making me cranky, and really killing my sleep. I took Drake for a nice long walk today, really hoping for some real contractions to start brewing. No such luck. I think Eli is going to take his sweet time entering the world. Come on out little man!

No comments: