Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy and Sad

Happy 9 month birthday to my sweet baby boy! He is such an amazing joy in our lives! He is everywhere, and into everything. He can crawl/scoot all over, and now pulls up on everything in sight. He will take a few steps behind his cruiser toy, but is a little timid. He's more comfortable taking steps around our ottoman, since it doesn't move. I promise I have photos coming, but I'm just too tired to download them tonight.

On another note, my poor baby got diagnosed with an ear infection for his nine month birthday. He's been pulling at his right ear, but hasn't had a fever at all. But, he has slept HORRIBLY the past two nights. Mommy's intuition told me he needed to be seen. So, off we go to the "Doctors Care" urgent care center, and the awesome Dr. Rogers. Interestingly enough, he did have an ear infection, but not in the ear he's been pulling at. And while they didn't do a strep swab, he said his eyes and throat were red in the way that suggested strept. Just great- I gave my bambino strept and my ear infection. I feel like the shittiest mom on earth right now. There is comfort in knowing I did get on antibiotics as soon as possible, despite my OB's office being CONVINCED I had the piggy flu. Drake honestly acts like he feels fine, other than the sleep issue. That makes me happy! He'll start on his own Amoxicillin tonight, and that makes me sad. I feel like if I was still breastfeeding, he wouldn't have gotten this. Why can't I be one of those lucky women who has an endless supply of breast milk???

On another not so happy note, I am so disappointed and frustrated with my obstetrical care here. I miss my midwives and that office staff more than words can possibly describe. The front office chick at my OB's office is a raging bitch. In turn, she makes this pregnant and tired mommy have the almost uncontrollable urge to slap the shit out of her. If I get arrested soon, you'll all know why. In my checkup today, (not with my main OB), I took the time to go over the principles of my birth plan. And just what did the OB do while I was 'attempting' to discuss this with her? Well, for starters, she hardly looked me in the eye. She stood near the door, like she was just trying to get out. And the kicker? She DOODLED on my checkout sheet. I thought that's what was going on, and on my way to the checkout counter, I confirmed it. And her answer to everything I had a question about? "Well, that's an issue with the hospital, not us." NEWS FLASH LADY::: I am your patient, therefore it's your issue too. Even if you don't give two shits about me, my birth plan, or what my wishes are, you could pretend!!! I was so pissed when I left there, I stopped in at another OB's office in the same building to get some info about their practice. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed.

I'm so flippin homesick for Charlotte, my midwives, and Drake's pediatrician that it's not even funny. I've been trying for weeks to get Drake a pediatrician's appointment. He needs his nine month well baby visit. Plus, some vaccines. I've gone as far as physically going to their office, to no avail. For some reason, they just can't manage to fax out the request for his records from Charlotte. I had Eric go to the office in Charlotte last week to sign the papers to have them mailed. They won't make an appointment until they receive the records, and have the ped review them. Then the pediatrician has to "accept" Drake. And I don't even know if they will, since he isn't vaccinated according to the almighty AAP schedule. Then, I'll have to start from scratch to get him in at the other office in town. Which of course will cost me more, since it isn't part of the hospital I work for.

So, that's what's going on here. We are super busy, and I'm super stressed. With a sick baby. Relocating surely isn't easy. I hope all these issues with our healthcare providers will soon be straightened out. I expected a few kinks, but I didn't think it would all be so difficult.

No comments: