Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's time...

It's either time for action, or time for a change of plans. I had the chance today to speak with the nurse manager of the L&D floor where I work. This is (obviously) where I'll be delivering our next addition. To make a long story short, I wasn't happy with her answers to my questions. Their lack of proper equipment for a natural birthing mom was disturbing. Their policies regarding visitors are deplorable. I was not impressed, to say the least. Combine that with my general level of unhappiness and dissatisfaction with the OB's office, and now I'm thinking about a change of plans.

You guessed it, I'm finally considering a midwife attended homebirth. Eric and I still have to get some questions answered by the midwife, mostly regarding what emergency equipment and supplies she travels with. I'm hoping to meet her and love her, and have the decision be an easy one.

At the same time, I'd also like to try and implement change within my employers L&D services. Some of their policies do not match the other hospital in town, and they are going to have to change those in order to stay competitive. Quite a bit of their routine doesn't follow current research; it's not evidence based practice. I intend to point that out, but doubt anything will come of it. At least I know it would in MY birth, because I'd demand it. I'm drafting a letter to send to the hospital CEO, and any other administrators involved in the L&D unit of Women's Services. Who knows if anyone will even read the letters, or much less care to do anything about it. But it will make me feel better to at least write them. Maybe they will actually take a look at their routine and policy, and other Moms will benefit. That would be beyond amazing.

I can say, for sure, 100% without doubt, that they will not get my business unless they at least amend the visiting policy for me. The other hospital in town will cost me more, since they aren't a "preferred provider" in my insurance network, but I'd consider them if my pregnancy became high risk.

Patients often assume they don't really have choices. They are told what's best for them, and what the hospital policy is, and they just go along with it. I hope just one person reads this and realizes, you DO have choices. Research, and empower yourself. Demand what you know is best for you and your family!!!

No comments: