Sunday, October 19, 2008

NYC pictures



The horse pulling the carriage had really sad eyes. I just wanted to rescue him and set him free in some huge field.

My Mom and I at Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center).
Me and my cousins after our carriage ride through some of Central Park.
On the cruise out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Me with my SIL, cousins, and my SIL BFF.
Beautiful candles in St. Patrick's Cathedral.

6 comments:

sorry4myfault said...

You may not know that New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry is inherently inhumane, though you seemed to have sensed it by seeing the horse's eyes. Among a host of problems that were detailed in a city audit of the industry, none is more disturbing than the fact that these horses must travel up to 4 miles daily in city traffic to and from their stables. Often these are multistory buildings with steep ramps. These horses get no turnout--can't even scratch an itch or stretch out to sleep comfortably.

A full ban on the industry is unanimously supported by the ASPCA, Humane Society of the United States, Friends of Animals, and dozens of other animal welfare organizations. Thank you for making the observation that the horse looked sad, and please, I urge you to choose another activity in beautiful New York City when you visit again. For the horses' sake.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know, I was curious about their treatment. That doesn't surprise me. I most definitely won't be doing that again. Poor horsies!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki-
I would suggest that you do your own research and thinking on this issue.
Our horses receive excellent care, and lead content lives. There are 10s of thousands of horses across this country that don't receive the level of care our horses do. We love our horses, they are our life. I have been in the business for 27 years, this is my blog

http://thewhiffletreenyc.blogspot.com/

(BTW - ALL horses' eyes "look sad" - did you notice their little, arched, wrinkly eyebrow? Look at any pic of any horse, anywhere - they all have that 'worried'or 'sad' look, just like a dolphin looks like he's smiling)

Michelle said...

Nik, I love your pictures. The one of the candles is especially striking! Your photography is getting really good :)

Anonymous said...

the horse in nyc are abused and I hate tourist because they are the reason these horses are in nyc. most new yorkers don't support the cruetly but stupid hicks and fat lazy tourist come to NYC to ride these poor horses in TRAFFIC

Anonymous said...

Mary Alice is an extremist. The TRUTH is that we have 5 stables in nyc all of which have box stalls. The newest is state of the art. Our horses get months of vacations every year on farms, dont work in weather above 89 or below 19, have vet, ferrier, and dental care. They are routinely examined by city vets and examined daily by the aspca (which, btw, has NEVER issued a cruelty violation, yet they are the ones who want a ban, hmmm.) I bought my horses their own farm in upstate ny 9 years ago and that is where they vacation and where they are retired to. Have a look at the videos of my horses in our city stable and on my farm...then tell me they look abused or unhappy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQQ4i0DC9k