Thursday, October 23, 2008

Yippee Yay!

So, there are two things that I'm really happy about right now. I've decided to share :-)

First, my friend Kim from work had her baby last weekend. We use the same midwives/OB group. She also delivered at the same place I will be. Keep in mind this is not the hospital we work at, so I don't know all the inside nitty gritty. (Knowing what I do about where I work is what made me change!) Anyhow, CMC Pineville is the hospital, and Kim just had an amazing experience there! We have alot of the same goals for labor and delivery, and I'm happy to say that Kim met all of her goals!!! She said the hospital, nurses, midwives, and OB were all beyond her expectations. She introduced the OB to his first squatting delivery. You go girl!!! So you may be wondering why she had an OB instead of the one of the midwives.

This new little piece of info honestly has me quite pissed off. It turns out there is not a midwife on call 24/7. Apparently there are some weekend nights where only an OB is there. I DON'T WANT ONE!!! And why am I just finding out at 28 weeks that this is the way it is? I am happy to say that Kim loved the OB and had nothing but glowing things to say. He was extremely supportive of her intervention free birth, and essentially was just there to help her catch her own baby. Yep- you heard me right. The doctor helped HER deliver her own baby. That's normal for a midwife, but not an OB. It makes me feel really good to know that even the OB's in my group are on my wavelength. I just hope and pray that I end up with a good one if I can't have one of my midwives. With all I've heard about the practice lately, I'm feeling really confident about my future birthing. As it turns out, one of the recovery nurses at work delivered a few months ago, with the midwife who I initally didn't like. CMC Pineville as well, and she also had nothing but good things to say also. She loved the midwife, honestly just raved about her. She was apparently very encouraging of her intervention free birth.

Hearing positive things helps my positive thinking, which is a big part of my hypnobabies. Look for more on that later....

So the second really fabulous thing that I'm so excited about occurred today. Since we discovered Shim, one of our friends Moms has said she'd nanny for us. But when it came down to it, it was really wasn't something she was interested in. Nanny placement agencies cost between $900-1600 in Charlotte, just to find a nanny. That's not the nanny's pay, which runs between $10-15 an hour. In an effort to make sure we researched all of our options thoroughly, I decided to look into preschools and daycares. I went and visited two on Tuesday. The first made me cry. I'm not even joking. I'd go work at Burger King for extra cash before sending Shim to a place like that. I was so sad, b/c it was supposedly a really good one. I was devastated thinking that if it was "good" for Charlotte, I'd never find one that I thought was acceptable. The second place was VERY nice, I really liked it alot. However there were two issues. First, he would have to go 5 days a week. (B/c I work long shifts, we only need childcare 2-3 days a week). I just can't stand the idea of paying for 5 days when we don't need that. The second problem was that they won't accept cloth diapers. That's a dealbreaker for me, although Eric really doesn't care. He thinks that sposies 2 days a week is just fine, but I think it defeats the purpose. So, long story short, Tuesday sucked. I spent yesterday resuming my nanny search.

Well, today I got off at 12, and had an appointment to see a third preschool at 1pm. I seriously almost skipped it in favor of a nap. But I decided to go, and it was the best decision EVER! This place was just fabulous. Everything about it. I had such a good feeling and vibe from everyone there. The workers looked like people I'd be friends with, and the kiddos all seemed so happy. They prefer you have an appt to come by, so they can guarantee you a full tour. But, you are welcome to drop by any day and time without notifying them, to assure yourself they aren't "putting on a show". I'm going to go back next Monday about the same time of day, unannounced. If I still like what I see, then I'm going to put down the deposit to get Shim on the wait list. He can go just Tues/Thurs, which works lovely for our family. And you wanna know the cool thing? THEY TAKE CLOTH DIAPERS! Which I'm sure you assumed since I liked the place. They don't have anyone at this particular location who CD's, but apparently someone at the Ballantyne location does.

Enough for now, but I just wanted to share the two things that I'm really happy about right now. I'm gonna go hunt for some hypnobabies info to share....

2 comments:

Angela said...

That is great you found a place. And Its so sad that some daycare's are so uneducated about cloth diapers they don't except them. I think it says a TON about a place and their values.

bestamommy said...

Nikki,

So glad to hear that you are being so proactive about daycares/preschools! It is such a tough decision to make, and can be heart-wrenching I know. I am such a weenie that I cried for daycare, and 4k, K, 1st...you get the point! It is so important to do your research, and uniformed drop-ins are a great place to start, as you do see the "real" day-to-day interactions. Check out health inspections, BBB also. So glad you are doing all your mommy work, it will make the transition much easier! Tell Shim hello for me!

Kim :0)