Sunday, January 11, 2009

Superstar

Drake wants everyone to know that he is quite the superstar--he slept in his bassinet like a big boy! Prior to last night, he would not sleep in the bassinet beside our bed. He had to be in his swing, or be on my chest. This either forced me to be on the couch (beside the swing), or a nervous wreck about him being on my chest in the bed. I am petrified to have him in the bed with me, but I'm all about cosleeping with him right beside me in his bassinet. In any case, he did so well. He was waking up about every 3 hours to nurse, and when he was done I'd lay him in the bassinet. It worked! I couldn't believe it, b/c prior to last night he just didn't want any parts of it. And it worked twice, after the 1 am and 4 am feedings. I'm so proud of my big man!

We think the reason he didn't like it is because he was so tiny in such a big space. We took the insert from his carseat (that he couldn't use) and laid it flat in the bassinet, and it kept him snuggled enough to feel secure. They did a test in the hospital called a car seat test, because he didn't meet the weight requirement. Basically, the nursery staff just watched his oxygen saturation level for an hour while he sat/slept in his car seat. And interestingly enough, his was better without the snuggly head and body support pillow. So, they took it out, and it's working magic laid flat in the bassinet. Babies sure do make their own plans for how things will work out, that's for sure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki:
You and Caroline are going to be my favorite bloggers! She started hers..it is life on wisteria, same site. Your man Drake is so sweet. I am very proud of you!

Unknown said...

What a lovely family you have! I'm a Charlotte mom myself, so it's great to have found another. Congratulations on your darling little boy.

Angela said...

What a little superstar you have there!!!! Oh you may want to update your About me section LOL