Saturday, January 17, 2009

The exhaustion has set in

Geez I'm tired. Drake is 12 days old, and the sheer exhaustion has finally hit me. He feeds about every 2-3 hours, so I only sleep between 1-2 hours at a time. The lack of consolidated sleep is certainly not healthy, but there isn't much of a choice here. Well.....actually there is. But I refuse to give him formula or start pumping yet, just so Eric can feed him at 3am. His need for healthy breastmilk comes before my need for sleep. Once he hits four weeks, I'm going to start pumping some after each daytime feeding. I'll make enough for a few bottles, then let Eric start to feed him a bottle or two a day. Hopefully we'll transition to where Eric can do one of the middle of the night feedings. If I could have 4-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I would be so grateful. And I don't even need that every night; I'd settle for every other night. I just feel like I need to wait until four weeks, and we have breastfeeding very well established. I'm quite paranoid about Drake having nipple confusion, and getting lazy with breastfeeding.

Eric and I may venture out later with Drake, for some dinner. I really need to get out of the house for a little while. My aunt sent this fabulous carseat cover, that keeps Drake completely protected from the cold and wind. Having that makes me feel more comfortable with taking him outside. I can't wait until it warms up, and we can start our daily walks. I love being outside in the sun!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh I want to see a picture of the carseat cover...and anymore of you all if you got any!? How about a baby and daddy picture!

Anonymous said...

I remember how hard it was not sleeping around the 2 week mark. It does get easier as the time goes on! I remember thinking about how great I would feel if I could get 4-6 hours in a row. Oliver is almost 4 months old and I'm still waiting. I get plenty of sleep only because I don't have to get up or out of bed to nurse him. Hang in there!

Resi

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki!

Give your little guy a couple more weeks! He will drop down his need for late night feedings to about 2 and then 1 once he hits about 6-8 wks. The books say that he will be able to sleep through the night when he hits 12 lbs, but Constantine has only done that once or twice. Breastfed babies won't sleep through consistently until about 6 months, so don't lose hope! At this point Constantine eats once during the night (unless growth spurt) and I usually wake before he does in anticipation. Of course he is still in our bed which allows us more sleep since we don't get all the way up!
Kim