And most importantly, I wanted to know when BF will QUIT HURTING! It's only hurting on one side, so at least that's a plus! I can see why women quit. I would never quit because of pain though, because his need for healthy breast milk is greater than my need for comfort. And so it begins, Drake has moved to numero uno.
So, the Drake-ster was 5-8 at birth, and 4-15 at four days old. Well, at eight days old, my big boy is already up to 5-7!!!!!!!! I was SO flippin happy, because now I know I'm doing a good job. BF is hard in the aspect that you don't truly know how much they are getting. They weighed him in the beginning, and after each breast. My superstar got a total of 2.5 ounces! I call him barracuda boy, because of his facial expressions when he's trying to latch on. His mouth is wide open, and he just swings his head all around......in hopes of finding a boob anywhere around. He totally looks like a barracuda fish, hunting for food. Not that I really know what a barracuda looks like, but it sounds good. I like the ring of barracuda boy.
He actually goes to the pedi again Thursday, for another weight check. I'm hoping he'll be above his birth weight by then, and then I'll really feel good. Seeing a healthy weight gain makes me really proud as a breastfeeding mommy. I can't imagine bottle feeding and missing out on all the bonding time we get during feedings. There is something so special about it, that is unexplainable to those who've only bottle fed.
Well, other duties call. Have a great day!
4 comments:
Thats your mama's milk doing that!!! Keep up the work and I hope your nipple feels better soon! (not sure if I have ever said that to a person before LOL)
OH! Also I heard somewhere that HNB babies sleep better to the sound of the tracks you used to help you sleep while preggers...just wondering if you tested this and if its true in your experience?
Nikki,
What a cute little guy you have. Congratulations, wishing you all the best. Enjoy every minute with him.
Caroline
Just want to add something Nikki- I'm reading Womanly Art to Breastfeeding... written by LLL. It says that if BF hurts, the latch is wrong, so you shouldn't be too sore now. And you said you've seen a LC, but what about finding a local LLL leader in your area and go to a meeting! I went with my BFF an it was great to be around other BF'ing moms! Just a thought :D
BF is so amazing. Babies were born to be BF- that is for sure. I love it! It is so special and even when my baby is in Day Care, I know he is getting the best nutrition possible. My right boob hurt with C's latch for a couple weeks, but it soon "toughened up" and it's no problem now! Hang it there and don't forget to use your lanolin cream!
The Womanly Art of BF by LLL is a great resource. I also purchased the book Whole Foods for Baby and Toddler for when we start solids. We have resolved to make our own baby food and keep the pure and natural nutrition for Constantine. Just think of all the money and resources you save without needing formula and to make your own food!
Kim
Post a Comment